Friday, January 25, 2013

Rituals

I'm a creature of habit, especially when it comes to food.  Those of you who worked with me in Anchorage know I went to McDonald's every Friday morning for a sausage biscuit with cheese.  Oftentimes, I brought Josh or Annabelle a biscuit too.  It was my way of celebrating Friday and surviving the week. Plus, I married someone who does not eat fast food.  So, I have to squeeze in a trip somehow!

My current habit is to hit Jackson's Corner every Friday afternoon for a small BLB.  Bacon, honey mayo (I try not to eat mayo, but this is an exception), arugula, and roasted yellow beets on a soft sando roll (have to ask for this bread).

Six slim bucks for this!
I've never cooked beets before, so I walked over to Whole Foods on Tuesday and picked one up.  They are so good!  I roasted it last night and served it with crispy zucchini tuna cakes for dinner.  YUM!

Before going in the oven
Several of you have inquired how I'm doing on my dairy free adventure.  The first few days were tough...I dreamed of butter and cheese.  But, it's actually not too bad.  I eat lots of veggies and tofu.  Menu planning is a challenge since we don't eat lots of meat anymore.  What's left to eat?

On a side note, I'm reading a fantastic book, "The Making of a Chef:  Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute of America by Michael Ruhlman.  It makes me long for going to culinary school and be glad I'm not going to culinary school all at the same time!  Making beautifully clear consomme, the mother sauces, veal stock, and more sounds good.  But, dealing with the time constraints, tests, and criticism sounds intimidating.  Don't ever pour alcohol in your skillet while it's on the stove.  EVER.  Read the book to find out why and scold the chefs on tv when you see them do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment