Sunday, November 25, 2012

Luscious Leftovers

"This is so good.  This is so good.  This is so good."  Yep, I moaned this repeatedly after my third (not consecutive) leftover turkey sammy.  But, let me back up the story a bit.

This recipe was passed on from my Mother, the best cook I know.  She told me it was a really great recipe.  So, I picked up a turkey breast roast from Costco last week.  Turns out a roast is really a couple big pieces of boneless turkey tied up (I cut the string bag...turns out you weren't supposed to).  She said it would probably work just fine.  Oh, boy, did it ever!

1 turkey breast (bone in or boneless), thawed
1 15oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 c. orange juice
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Rinse turkey breast and trim off any excess fat.  Place turkey in slow cooker.  Combine ingredients.  Pour over turkey.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.  Note: Mom usually cooks it on high about four hours, then on low another 3 hours.  Depends on the size of the turkey.

The turkey was so tender and flavorful...texture similar to pulled pork, but not icky stringy.

Now on to the sammy.....perfection.  Heat up the turkey in a pan.  Generously butter crusty sliced sourdough bread and place it on a griddle.  Top it with the warmed up turkey and a couple of spoonfuls of cranberry sauce.  Toast on one side and carefully flip it.  Toast the other side, then get ready to eat up.

Yes, the bread is as big as the griddle.


Yum.  We've had three sammys so far, and Emil will finish off the last one tomorrow at work.  Lucky guy!  We joke about returning to Costco to pick up a few more turkey roasts to toss in the freezer.  Guess I know what we're having for Christmas.  Let the countdown begin! 

Kudos to my lovely Mother for the recipe!  She's also the best hostess I know...and taught me all about Southern Hospitality.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment