Thursday, November 22, 2012

5k and Giving Thanks

I convinced Emil to do the "I Like Pie" 5k this morning...get up early, shiver, run, and eat pie.  It was worth it!  Over 1,000 people participated in an untimed 2k, 5, 10k walk/run along the Deschutes River.  After the run, there was plenty of free pie and even a pie baking contest!  All the proceeds went to a local food bank.  Emil's time was really good...mine was decent, considering I haven't ran in three weeks.

Hot coffee, cocoa, and fire pits kept folks warm and energized.

Before the run...

Donating some canned goods to NeighborImpact.
Our pie:  peach, cherry, cranberry, and chocolate nut

For Thanksgiving, I wanted to do something non-traditional and keep it simple.  Maybe a tofu curry, lasagna, or enchiladas.  We also wanted to spend the day alone, cozy in our pajamas, and watching football...since we've hardly seen each other the last three weeks.  Leaving the couch was optional.

We compromised and cooked our favorite foods, along with a wonderful recipe from my Mother.  Thanks for the great turkey recipe!  I also skipped the diet food and desserts, but stuck to small portions.

Crockpot Turkey...it's so easy and delicious.  Four ingredients!

Emil's favorite cranberries.  Less sugar this year.

Twice baked taters - low fat sour cream.  We split one!

Perfectly round Rhodes Rolls.  Bake them in a cupcake pan!

Apple pie, no nuts by request

My plate.  I'm saving up for dessert.

Our cute little table with non-matching plates, cups, dishes.  Sigh.
Now we're looking through store ads, contemplating a shopping trip, and looking forward to homemade apple pie (for Emil since I don't like pie), and brownies (for me).

On a side note:  I watched Twinkies sell left and right on eBay last night.  We dashed out at 10 p.m. and went to three stores to buy boxes to sell.  Since Bend is so healthy and full of granolas, we did not have success.  Darn hippies!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment