Monday, March 07, 2011

James Beard Drop Cream Biscuits

Why haven't I made these biscuits before?  Oh yeah, it's because I grew up in the South and love Bisquick. 

An open container of heavy cream stared at me every time I opened the fridge, so I looked up some recipes to use it up.  I hate to waste ingredients, especially expensive ones.  These biscuits are good.  Just plain good with some butter and jam, right out of the oven.  I chose to roll them out instead of the drop method...


They puffed up quite well and not too much sweetness.  I'll freeze the rest of the biscuits.  A treat on a rainy day with chicken noodle soup or an egg scramble will be yummy with them!




  • 2 cups all-purpose flour




  • 1 tablespoon baking powder (double-acting)




  • 3/4 cup heavy cream




  • 1 teaspoon salt




  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar




    1. Sift dry ingredients together.
    2. Fold in cream until it makes a soft dough that can be easily handled. (You may need to add up to a full cup of cream).
    3. Turn on to a floured board and knead for about one minute.
    4. I make these as drop biscuits: Take a large mound of dough (one heaping tablespoonful) and dip into melted butter. (I brushed the tops with butter)
    5. Arrange biscuits on a baking sheet spritzed with baking spray. Bake at 425 for 13-16 minutes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment