Sunday, January 13, 2013

Goodbye Dairy

Okay, I have to face the facts.  I'm lactose sensitive, borderline intolerant.  I've ignored the possibility and just gotten used to an upset stomach and other side effects.  Yes...for a very long time.

So, I'm going dairy free starting today.  It's tough.  I eat the same breakfast every day...english muffin with butter.  It's my splurge since I'm on Weight Watchers.  Guess what I had today?  Sauteed tofu with mushrooms.  A big bowl.  Yum.  Guess I could've gotten a little more creative with my breakfast, but I didn't have the energy.  I don't like oatmeal (we ate oatmeal every day summer of 2011 on our roadtrip across to US), and I can't imagine eating scrambled eggs without cheese.  Egads.

My wonderful chef neighbor offered to help me menu plan, and I might have to take her up on it.  All the WW recipes I like have a bit of milk or cheese in them.  Or the ones without dairy are loaded with meat, and we try not to eat a lot of meat or poultry.  Our weekly meals are probably 80% vegetarian.  What a dilemma.

I think avoiding cheese and milk will be the easy part.  Butter, on the other hand, is my vice.  I love butter.  It's real, good, makes everything better, and so dang delicious.  Yesterday, I felt like I was marching to the guillotine....no butter?  Say it isn't so!  Therefore, I had two english muffins with butter.  Take that!  Ugh...my stomach doesn't feel so good.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.  I'll probably give up by Tuesday night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment