Sunday, December 23, 2012

Snow Day

It's going to be a White Christmas here in Bend!  With a few inches of snow as a base, we received probably three more today.  So, I dashed out this morning in the flurries to stock up on crafting supplies and baking ingredients.  I figured I'd bake and make cards in between my usual Sunday Football Fest.

First, it was hard to choose a game to watch.  Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh was on the same time as the Saints vs. Cowgirls (Tommy Boy's nickname for them).  I mainly watched the Saints game and caught the end of the Cincy game...pretty darn exciting!  Tonight, I'll tune in to the Seahawks game and text back and forth with Tommy Boy during the game.

Secondly...the food.  I made one of my favorite Christmas appetizers a few nights ago.  It's a crowd pleaser and super easy.  Ritz crackers, whipped cream cheese (much easier to spread), and pomegranate seeds. 


Scared of a pomegranate?  Here's the easy way to remove the seeds thanks to Martha Stewart.  Cut the pom in quarters.  Hold skin side up over a bowl in the sink and whack the pom hard with a wooden spoon.  The seeds will fall neatly into the bowl. 

Last week, my friend, Erica, mentioned making buckeyes.  They've been on my mind...especially since I lived in Ohio, the Buckeye state, for several years.  I've never made them before, so I found a recipe that uses bittersweet chocolate.  Sounded good to me.  Plus, they freeze well, so I'll pull them out for a last minute dessert.

Very sweet.
I've been making chocolate-dipped marshmallows for the last two weeks.  Trying to perfect the dipping.  Some have crushed candy cane on the outside.  I ate all the ones with crushed hazelnuts...my favorite!  Just can't seem to get enough hazelnuts these days...I love them!



Make a cup of cocoa and stir in the marshmallow.  Yum!  They also make wonderful hostess gifts.

Here's a pic of the snow early this morning:

 
It's stopped snowing, and I'm ready for the couch and football.  Looking forward to our uke gig and Christmas Eve service tomorrow.  The turkey breast is thawing in the fridge, and I'll make cranberry sauce and a cocoa cake on Christmas morning.

"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a fervent wish that every cup may overflow with blessings rich and eternal, and that every path may lead to peace."

Wishing you peace and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment