Thursday, October 18, 2012

Cookbook Lust

There are a few things in life I lust for.  If I listed them out here, I would be in a heap of trouble, so I'll just hit one of the highlights.  "Baked: New Frontiers in Baking" by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito is the ultimate cookbook.  Last fall, I borrowed it from the library, made lots of copies, and made the recipes over and over and over.


It's been on my mind lately, as I just baked off two loaves of their Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread for upcoming gatherings.  Freezes really well, so bake away!

Since I've been Christmas shopping for my family, I just happened to be on Amazon and this cookbook fell into my shopping cart.  It arrived today...I inhaled the new book smell, carefully opened it, and started reading.  I suspect there will be lots of baking in the coming weeks, as I try out every recipe.  You know...it's just one of those books where all the recipes sound good and turn out great.  How often can you say that about a cookbook?

Happy Baking, Y'all!
  • 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 cups (one 15-ounce can) pumpkin puree
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips

    Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter two 9-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pans, dust them with flour, and knock out the excess flour. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger (if using), baking soda, and salt.  In another large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree and oil until combined. Add the sugar and whisk again. Whisk the eggs into the mixture, one at a time, followed by the vanilla. Add 2/3 cup room-temperature water and whisk until combined. With a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.

    Fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Do not overmix. Divide the batter between the prepared pans. Gently knock the bottom of the pans against the countertop to even out the batter. Use a spatula to smooth the tops. Bake in the center of the oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out clean, 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time. Transfer the pans to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. Invert the loaves onto wire racks and cool completely before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment