Friday, April 06, 2012

Easter Prep

Well, I've survived Lent.  No desserts and no popcorn.  I extended the "no desserts" to include breakfast breads too.  Although, I did have several thoughtful discussions with random people on the topic of doughnuts.  Are they a dessert?  Most people said it really depended on the time of day.  Interesting.

When I stopped in at Backporch Roasters, they had these lovely fig bars (from Baked Bakery) in a jar right next to the cash register.  The barista said the bars are really a snack, not a dessert.  Hmmmm....anything from Baked is fantastic.  I may have to go back next week.

Am I looking forward to a double helping of dessert on Sunday with a side of popcorn?  Kind of.  I'm making a Cinnamon Chocolate Cake, recipe courtesy of the Penzey's Spices magazine.  I made it a few weeks ago for our company, and everyone said it was a keeper.  More importantly, I'm making Sweet Potato Casserole for Easter dinner.  It's sweet, delicious, and almost like a dessert. The recipe is from my Mama!  Southern gals know about casseroles.

Sweet Potato Casserole
3 c. cooked, mashed sweet taters
3/4 c. sugar - less if desired
2 eggs, beaten
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. milk
1/2 t. salt
1/2 stick butter

Add all the ingredients to the taters and place in a greased casserole dish. 

Topping
1 c. brown sugar - less if desired
1/2 c. melter butter
1/3 c. flour
1 c. chopped pecans

Combine topping ingredients.  Sprinkle on top of the casserole.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Notes:  Use less sugar if you're sensitive to sugary stuff.  You can cheat and use canned sweet taters if you're in a pinch.

Since we're going to Hilton Head Island in July to celebrate my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, I'm toying with the idea of not eating desserts until then.  Lose some more weight, save up money for a new bathing suit...sounds good to me!  

No comments:

Post a Comment