Sunday, December 11, 2011

New Recipe

Since I've had some time on my hands, I've been trying out some new recipes, and I'm really impressed by the results.

Gingered Carrot-Sweet Potato Soup
I selected this recipe, so I can use my new stick immersion blender.  Plus, it's one of those throw it in the crockpot and forget about it types.  Perfect!  The recommended garnish for the soup is creme fraiche or lightly whipped cream.  I tried it with a little sour cream, but I liked it better with no garnish at all.  Simplicity at its best.  The outcome:  Healthy, delicious soup for four people.

1 medium-size to large sweet potato
6 medium-size carrots
1 medium-size to large sweet onion (I used half of a yellow onion since that's what I had on hand)
1 inch-long piece of fresh ginger
4 c. chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel the sweet potato and chop into pieces no larger than one inch on a side.  Peel the carrots and chop into pieces no larger than 3/4 inch on a side.  Peel the onion and chop into 3/4 inch pieces.  Use a vegetable peeler or a paring knife to peel the ginger.  Mince finely.  Place the sweet potato, carrots, onion, and ginger in the slow cooker and stir to combine.  Add the broth.  If you are using canned broth, do not add salt and pepper at this point.  If you are using unseasoned homemade broth, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper.  Cover and cook on low until the vegetables are quite tender, 9-11 hours.

Turn the slow cooker off, uncover, and allow the soup to cool for a few minutes, then puree with immersion blender or food processor until smooth.  You will want to obtain the smoothest puree possible, so let the blender to its work for a few minutes.  Check the seasonings and add salt and pepper if necessary. Serve the soup hot or cold.

Gorgeous color!


On to other subjects, no critters in the trap yet.  The peanut butter is not worthy enough, I guess.  Will try some apple in there tonight. 

I'm baking up some quick breads for gifts and packing up gifts to mail back East.  Time to stand in line at the post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment