Tuesday, November 01, 2011

RIP Palmetto

I truly love the chickens.  They are fun to watch, and I chat to them when I'm outside.  Unfortunately, some kind of critter scooped up Palmetto yesterday afternoon while Lori and I were hiking in Bend.  At dusk, I went to tuck in the chickens, and she was missing.  And, she didn't miraculously appear this morning.  So sad.  Now, we're down to nine chickens.  Several of the spring chickens are laying, and they fight over the same box to lay in.  This morning, two of the chickens were crammed in the same box, squawking at each other.

Never a dull moment here.

Lori helped me process the 29 pound pumpkin yesterday.  We made a spectacular Southwestern Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup.  The rest of the roasted pumpkin is in the freezer, ready to make baked goods all winter.  I have to process the 20 pound pumpkin, but I may wait a bit.  The food processor needs a vacation from working hard.

Time to finish up my Christmas shopping and buy Christmas cards.  Tis the season!

1 comment: